According to the Star Tribune, the alleged medication error occurred at the 42-bed facility, where the man had been transferred for hospice care. He was suffering from chronic kidney disease. The victim’s age and identity was not disclosed in the state report, which determined the mistake occurred when the nursing home staff failed to accurately transcribe the man’s prescription.
His death happened approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes after the huge dose of narcotic painkiller was delivered. State investigators determined the facility did not have adequate policies in place that would have ensured the medicines were transcribed and also administered accurately. Had the policy been in place, the man likely would not have died when he did, officials said. Continue reading →